Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Happy Things

My boys on the beach at sunset last week. 


A couple things have made me extremely happy the past few days. 

I have never made dinner rolls before and my first attempt was perfection.  I hope it wasn't beginner's luck!  Then G made honey butter which I thought was a bad idea at first.  But then I changed my mind and perfect rolls became ridiculous.  In an amazing way.

We dusted off my Aerosmith greatest hits CD (Big Ones) and gave it whirl tonight.  I hadn't listened to it in probably ten years, yet it's one of my favorites.  Angel is probably my all-time favorite song.  Looooooooove it.  Now that I've been reminded of that fact, I will be listening to it all the time. 

My bathroom smells like gardenias because my gardenia plant is finally in bloom.  I've had the plant for years and it finally is blooming for the first time.  

I sealed 29 mylar bags of food for long-term food storage yesterday with a friend.  I did whole wheat macaroni, brown rice, quinoa, chocolate chips, steel cut oats, trail mix, brown sugar, and wheat germ.  I had so much fun I'm going to do white flour in a couple weeks.  I love canning in any form I've decided.

My garden is doing amazing, thanks to our new planter boxes and fancy soil.  We are doing square foot gardening this year for the first time, so the yield is yet to be determined.  But the seeds are all up and the plants look great!

Only 5.5 days of school left.  Which means only 6 more times of getting up early.  There are no words to describe the anticipation and joy to be schedule-free for a couple months.

And just so you don't think I'm too Pollyanna-ish, here's some bad news.  Buddy lost his second tooth last week and informed us that he doesn't believe in the tooth fairy "because I felt a hand under my pillow and it was more the size of a human hand than a fairy hand.  Plus a tooth fairy just makes no sense."  So we came clean.  It hurt me more than it hurt him, though.  He said he still has an imagination so he'll still get excited about "her" coming.  And we told him he could help us be the tooth fairy for Sambo one day, which softened the blow a little too, I think. 

And I had to get new fingerprints for my criminal background check today because it's time to renew our adoption homestudy.  Which means we've been waiting for baby #3 for two years.  Please share our adoption blog or our adoption profile with anyone that could help.  Sambo gets mad when I pretend like he's a baby, so please save him the trauma of being tortured by being treated like a baby and help us find another baby.  Thanks!

No comments: