Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Oh How I Love Myself a Good Food Court

If you know only one thing about our family, you should know we love Costco. We take many a family outing there and G is always happy to sneak away from work to meet up with the boys and I for lunch/shopping.

I can't even count the many awesome things we've purchased at or through Costco over the years. Our awesome couch pillows, two bed mattresses, our car, AC at our last house, our camera, tickets for Disneyland, my watch, my glasses, our tent, not to mention the groceries and diapers and formula and prescriptions and photo printing. That place is just the coolest.

But the very, very best part of Costco is the food court. G, Sambo and I are totally addicted. I love the pizza, Sambo loves the hotdogs, and G loves it all. Plus, I'm sorry but how can you complain about feeding a family of four for $6.50.


But we've run into a snag lately. Buddy has become a weak link in the Costco experience. He hates the food at Costco. He is not at all a picky eater, but the two things he refuses to eat just happen to be the two things we love most about Costco: pizza and hotdogs. He is not a fan of tomato sauce and ever since people gave him the run-around when he asked what hotdogs are made of, he's refused to eat them (although Costco boasts their hotdogs are all beef -- and don't worry, I've tried to tell him that). Buddy does, however, really like the Caesar salad. Now it's awesome that he likes salad and all, but if we're dining at Costco for pete's sake, why does he need to pick the most expensive item on the menu? Our usual dinner for $6 is now costing us $9. If he's too good for Costco hotdogs, maybe it's time he starts paying his own way.

9 comments:

Sarah said...

This made me laugh out loud! Seriously. (Partly because, despite my mother's unfortunate accident in a Costco parking lot, I still love Costco. It's just such as awesome place.) Buddy's refusal to eat hot dogs is hil-freaking-larious. And it kind of reminds me of Someone Who Shall Remain Nameless' refusal to eat fish. Just sayin'...

Unknown said...

I loved this and I am right there with you. We don't have Costco here we have the far inferior BJ's.
If Costco = Target then BJ's = Walmart.

R said...

I know this is not going to be popular and no doubt I will be bashed but I cringe every time I walk past the Costco food court. I've never eaten there and never will. One look at the size of most people eating there confirms my suspicions on why our society is so overweight. Why on earth do people have to eat high-fat food when they are shopping? We shop at noon-time on Saturdays and get more than enough to eat just from the free samples there. Why then the need to stop and eat more? The food court is always packed. The expose "Supersize Me" could just as easily been filmed there. Good on Buddy for chosing green food!

Myndi said...

How do you explain why me and G got so hungry for McDonalds after watching "Supersize Me"?

My favorite Costco Food Court item: the $1 churro. SOOOOO Good!

G said...

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm . . . Big Mac.

R said...

On the news the other night a reporter made the point of how over-sized and fat-laden restaraunt food has gotten by showing a deep-fried entre that has more calories and fat content than a stick of butter. He made the point by stabbing the stick of butter with a fork and began eatting it saying it was healthier than the dish in front on him. It just happened to be broadcast as I was typing my last comment. Sad.

G said...

Makes me rethink my deep fried snickers bar with chocolate sauce and powered sugar on top that I get every year at the Washington County Fair. Nah, who am I kidding, I'll get another on this year.

Myndi said...

I can't tell if the deep friend snickers is a joke. If it is real, than it is a dream come true and I may need to make plans to head back to Oregon just in time for the Washington County Fair!

M said...

Myndi-Unfortunately, he's dead serious.