Sunday, June 27, 2010

Up, Up, and Away!

This is how awesome I look at 5 AM.  G took one look at this pic and said, "Wow.  Sure looks like Sambo is enjoying himself."

There are very few things that would get me up and out of the sheets at dawn.  Especially on a Saturday.  However, for Christmas I had promised Sambo I'd take him to the annual Hot Air Balloon Festival.  I had gone close to 17 years ago when I was in high school and had enjoyed it, so I knew it was something he'd really like.  Saturday the big day came, so him and I were up and out of the house by 5:15.  That's 5:15 AM.


We arrived just in time for the launch.  We watched them blow propane into all the balloons, then we watched as one by one they lifted off into the sky.  It was really exciting!


The balloons were all in the sky by 6:45, so next we went to breakfast.  We were done with that by 7:30 and we knew G and Buddy would be asleep at home still, so we made a stop at the park.  Never in my wildest dreams did I ever expect an early morning park visit could be so fun. 

 

We played for awhile, then went to the dollar store.  Sambo kept talking about his brother the entire time we were on our date, so we decided to buy a couple balloons to bring home to Buddy.  Then we stopped off at a few garage sales in our neighborhood and arrived home at 9:00 just in time to start our day!


Sambo is such a great kid.  Seriously, he is an absolute delight to be with.  My heart nearly bursts with joy every day when I think of how lucky I am to be his mom.  He is learning and growing into such a big boy lately.  He still really struggles with his speech, but he tries so hard and is always willing to practice his little exercises.  He's very independent and wants to be like his older brother all the time.  Every little brother does, but Sambo has an exceptional love for his brother and mimics every single thing Buddy does. Sambo also has quite a sense of humor and is constantly trying to make us laugh and do crazy stuff to get our attention. 

Ah, I just love him!

3 comments:

J said...

He is so adorable and has always had a special place in my heart. Camo has the same affect on me, I don't know how I will ever be able to discipline him because he is too darn cute.

Myndi said...

What a fun day (er, morning). I love days like that.

Nicki said...

What a lucky guy!! You are such a good mom, I never would have even thought about doing an outing like that :)