Monday, February 14, 2011

Best Valentine's Day Ever (by G)

Valentine's Day is an interesting holiday. If you're single, then it accentuates the fact that you are single. If you are in a relationship, then there is an obligation to do something or buy something, etc. Normally, I enjoy the holiday and M and I have some traditions that we have made over the years, like getting pizza, strawberries to be dipped in chocolate, and hang out together. This year, however, M kicked it up to a whole new level, so instead of just enjoying the holiday, I think it was the best one ever.

A few weeks ago, M went over to a friend's house who she normally doesn't hang out with. I didn't really think much of it and when I asked her about it, she said that I would find out about it later. The next day, February 1st, I awoke to a valentine. The valentine said that I would be receiving a valentine every day through Valentine's Day. I thought this was really clever. I came to really enjoy getting each valentine and anticipated it throughout the day. All of the valentines were unique in their own way and all were really clever. As it turned out, when M went over to the friend's house, there were 13 other women there and each one did a valentine for a particular day and then they exchanged them. M's, incidentally, was a 2 liter of Crush soda with a note that said, "I have a Crush on you." Saturday night, we had a dinner with most of the couples whose wives participated. It was a lot of fun and the group was definitely hand-selected and included some of our favorite friends.

Tonight I got the last valentine and an additional surprise. M had made a music collage of different pictures of us throughout the years. This probably won't be funny to anyone else, but the first song in the collage was an Aaron Neville and Linda Ronstadt duet of "I Don't Know Much." Needless to say we were dying of laughter. We heard it flipping through the radio stations a few days ago and thought it was funny then and now it's even funnier with our pictures. I'm still laughing.

I am a little disappointed that it's over but one thing I can say is that I have the best wife in the world. The mere fact that she would take the time to express her love for me in so many different ways just makes me love her more and more. I sometimes feel sorry for her that she has to put up with a house full of boys and all of our obnoxiousness, smelly, messy, and crazy behavior. One thing I know without a doubt is that we could not survive without her. M is the best thing to have ever happened to me and I feel extremely fortunate and blessed to have married her. Happy Valentine's Day, Sugar!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a frequent reader but have never commented....just gotta say that this post is awesome. I love that you both express appreciation for each other and brag about each other. And, I think, M, you have the perfect blend of humor and wit as you capture tales of your boys. Thanks for sharing. You've got a lovely family. (And, I promise I am not a weirdo....just a friend of a friend who stumbled on your blog.)

R said...

Thank you, G, for being such a wonderful husband to my daughter. I express the same to L. I am truly fortunate to have two additional sons in the family.