Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Urgent Need of Help with Adoption Legislation



(Click to Enlarge)

Many of you have asked what you can do to support our adoption journey this time around.  I have found something you can do!

There are a few anti-adoption bills in the Oregon legislature (as well as other states in the country) right now that obviously concern me.  One in particular, HB 2904, is very serious.  It would make adoptions very difficult in Oregon.  It would require birth parents to wait until the baby is 8 days old to place them for adoption as well as give them 30 days to essentially change their mind.

If you are so inclined, I would love for you to email your Legislator (if you are in Oregon) as well as the chairs of the Human Services committee.  If you are not in Oregon, you can still help by emailing the chairs of the Human Services committee.  Your email can be short and sweet and say something like:

Dear Representative _________,
     My name is ______ and I am a [friend of adoption] or [concerned citizen] or [adoptive grandparent] in the state of Oregon. I want to voice my opposition to House Bill 2904. I believe that
[it takes away a birthparent’s right to make plans for the future of their child and it will have a negative impact on adoption here in Oregon.]

   Thank you for your time.
    Sincerely, __________ address, phone

Feel free to write whatever makes sense to you.  I'm also posting the letter I wrote in a separate blog post (scroll down) so you can see why I think this is such a big deal.  The picture at the top of this post is Buddy's letter.  This is a fairly urgent matter, so the sooner the better!

Thank you so very much!
 

If you are in Oregon, you can check this website to find your Legislator

Chairs for Human Services Committee:
Carolyn Tomei
rep.carolyntomei@state.or.us

Vic Gilliam
rep.vicgilliam@state.or.us

The Horrible Sponsors of the bill:
Margaret Doherty
rep.margaretdoherty@state.or.us

Michael Dembrow
rep.michaeldembrow@state.or.us

A blog written by a birth mother with lots of info about the bill.

No comments: