Friday, January 16, 2009

Aging by G

Even though M may think she's old and may have a stray gray hair or two, she still looks like a teenager (and a pretty hot one at that!). People don't think that she is older than what she is, unlike me. For example, shortly after we were married, M, Jordan and I went to go get haircuts. I was probably 23 or 24 at that time. For whatever reason, I was the first one in the chair. I started with the obligatory small talk with the lady cutting my hair (you know, like how's your day?, have you been busy?, how long have you worked here?, etc.). There was silence for a little while, which must have made her uncomfortable or something, because she decided to open her mouth and pay me a compliment (at least a compliment in her mind).

She said, "it's nice of you to bring your kids here for haircuts." Not believing that I actually heard her correctly, I said "What?" She then said, "Yeah, it's nice of you to bring your son and your daughter here as a family for haircuts." I replied to her that in fact, I was with my WIFE and my BROTHER-IN-LAW. Realizing the mistake she had made, the rest of the haircut was done in awkward silence. M and Jordan thought it was hilarious that the lady thought that I was old enough to be their dad. So even though most people think M is a teenage mother who doesn't have it together enough to put socks on her kids, at least people don't think she's twice as old as what she really is.

2 comments:

J said...

What an awesome story. I'm just glad I was there to witness it!

Mandy said...

Remeber at BYU how some guy thought you were my dad dropping me off for EFY? Good times.